February 17, 2008

President Hinckley


I have really wanted to share some thoughts and feelings about our dear prophet but it has taken me a while. He was such a man of strong character. I admired his ability to reach out to all people. I was watching Larry King Live a while ago and he was interviewing a really cynical, rude political analyst (I don't remember his name). When the anayst referred to President Hinckley's passing he was really insensitive and demeaning to the church, it's leadership, and said that the "church will be in ruin now that the Hinckley guy can't speak with God". I was so offended I wanted to turn the T.V. off right then. But then Larry King rebuked him and said he should not speak badly of a man he never met and that President Hinckley (respectfully using his correct title) was one of the kindest and most sincere men he had ever met! I just thought it went to show that all who knew President Hinckley were impressed by his character.

My family decided to attend President Hinckley's viewing on the Friday afternoon after he had passed away. We waited outside for 2 hours and then inside the conference center for another 2 hours. Anytime my brothers started grumbling because of the cold or the long wait my mom reminded them (and me) that all of the people standing in line were there because President Hickley had touched their life in some way. It really changed my perspective when I overheard two young African American men talking to the lady in front of us. They were Buddhist and had come because they had heard him speak and were impressed. Can you believe that?! Two men- who weren't LDS- stood out in the cold for just as long as we did to see a man that they were impressed with (they didn't even have the knowldege that he was a prophet!) It was such a beautiful experience and I am so glad that I was able to see him one last time. There was such a peaceful and almost happy feeling in the room where he was!


I fully sustain President Monson, President Eyring, and President Uchtdorf. I am very excited to follow their counsel. What great men to be leading the church in these scary times. What a blessing it is that the apostles don't have to campaign and that we don't have to vote for the next prophet. What a perfect and orderly system the church is!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Amen! I loved President Hinckley and thought he was amazing! however I know these new leaders will be incredible as well. Isn't it strange to think that Lili will think of President Monson the way we think of President Hinckley? Love you and see you soon!

RaCHeL said...

Hi! It's about time you updated your blog. :) How have you been?