September 23, 2009

4 weeks

It is crazy that Savannah has been with us for 4 weeks now! I swear the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy felt more like 4 months, so why is it that now that she is here time has flown by?

Well the visitors have come and gone and we are now officially on our own. There have been a lot of highs and perhaps a few lows to this new thing called parenting. I guess it all comes with being an emotional new mom, right?

The lows- At Savannah's two week checkup she had actually lost weight instead of gaining back her birth weight. Of course I had a melt down and knew that our daughter was anorexic and was headed for the NICU. After talking to a few people (mostly my sister, thanks Jen) I was able to calm down and realize that a 7 lb 14 oz baby is not that small and will most likely be just fine. The doctor (whom I love, but is perhaps a bit granola) told me to buy a sling and let Savannah be "at the breast" all day. Yeah right. Perhaps that works for some, but I was not up to that. So for a week or so I was the nursing machine. We would go on a walk in the morning and then sit on the couch and nurse all day until Jayson got home. I took Savannah in at 3 weeks to do a weight check and she was up to 8 lbs. 1 oz. almost there... Then I took her in yesterday for her 4 week weight check and she is a whopping 8 lbs. 12 oz. so, (sigh of relief) I think we are doing alright. I now feel like we can run errands, clean the house, and perhaps make dinner. It is so funny how much I stress about her weight, her breathing, her eating, her pooping, etc, etc. I guess I will just be a worry wart for the rest of my life.

The highs- I just love her more and more each day. I thought I loved her when she was born, but every day I fall more and more in love. Watching Jayson be a dad. Hearing him talk to her in his high pitched baby voice. He puts his nose close to her mouth and tells me he likes her baby breath. Watching her grow- her eyes are open more and more and she makes the best faces. It is fun to have a little buddy during the day to talk to and play with. It is amazing how little I get done during the day, because I end up holding her and watching her sleep. She is such a good baby and is doing a great job eating and sleeping (which makes a happy mom, thank you Savannah!)


My favorite face. Pursed lips and a raised eyebrow.


Trying to wake a sleepy baby to eat... so hard


Grammy Clark came for 4 glorious days and it was so nice to have help, company during the day and someone to hold and love baby Savannah while I slept, showered, etc.


Last Saturday Jayson and I went to Costco and hurried home to feed, change and get Savannah ready to go to our friend's house for the BYU game. Well, right after we put her in her BYU jersey Jayson heard a little squirt and this is the result....

Her first blow out...

I guess she was trying to tell us how BYU was going to play against Florida State. Then to really drive home her point, I was wearing a BYU sweatshirt and she spit up all over it.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ha Ha! The blowout was hilarious! That being said, when I have my own, that will probably happen lots just bc of how funny I think it is! She is adorable and it was really fun to read how being a new mom is. I hope it just gets better and better :)

Kylan said...

Thank you thank you thank you, we've been dying for more pictures of that little angel! Now that the weight thing has been figured out, you can just enjoy every second of your sweet baby. And don't worry for even one second about sitting on the couch for hours at a time. You'll never have that chance again so just enjoy every second of it! We love you all and CAN'T WAIT to see you!
Love Jen

Primary said...

She is such a beautiful baby Jules! Can you move back here please? I love Jayson's face in the last picture. I'm so happy for you and your adorable little family!

RaCHeL said...

I am so glad to hear that little girl is gainin weight! I am also glad to hear that I'm not the only one that fusses so much about everything! ;) I love the blowout picture! Go cougars!

Megan said...

I love the facial expressions. She is darling! Parker lost weight too the first little bit. But the doctor told me that all babies loose weight after they are born. perhaps he was just trying to calm my nerves so I didn't freak out because I'm a worry wart too. But anyway I agree about watching the daddy play and talk to his little one. That must be my favorite thing...watching Chad play with Parker. I love it. And you are a darling Mom.

Kacey said...

She is seriously darling! Get ready for more blowouts! I carry extra clothes for the baby (and me) in the car just because they seem to poop at the worst moments!

Kim said...

I was such a worry wart too. I think its just part of being a new mom and the lack of sleep :) She is beautiful!

Erin and Corey said...

Congratulations on the new little one! She is adorable! Hey, where did you get your car seat? Corey and I have been looking and I don't really like anything I've seen in Utah County. Yours is a good neutral color, too.