My wonderful mother left this morning and I think I am still in a little bit of shock. She came last Friday and was with us for 9 glorious days. She cooked, cleaned, rocked the baby, made my bed, did the laundry, etc. etc. It was so nice to have her here to tell me that I am doing the right things and give me the confidence I need to be a good mother to this baby girl. She helped us through a few sleepless nights and kept encouraging all of us the whole time. What a saint!
We weren't very active, as I was not feeling up to doing much of anything. But we had a good time sitting on the couch watching movies or chatting about everything. We did venture out a few times to go on a walk or a trip to the grocery store (although I stayed in the car with the babe). Everyday when we got Savannah dressed and ready for the day we took pictures. I think we have a million pictures of this girl and she isn't even two weeks old!
Some of the things I want to remember about the first few weeks are...
- her hairy ears. She is the cutest monkey baby I have ever seen
- her perfectly swirled hair
- her rolly eyes when she is in and out of sleep
- her surprised look, where she raises her eyebrows and opens her big eyes
- her mouth and the way it puckers and makes the funniest expressions
- her incredibly kissable chubby cheeks and wrinkly neck
- the beginnings of a smile (when asleep) and the hinting of her daddy's dimples
We had a few sleepless nights right after we got home from the hospital and the advice we got to help baby sleep through the night is to teach her the difference between day and night. Taking her outside in the sunshine during the day and keeping it dark during nighttime feedings and changings. Jayson has also taken it upon himself to be her personal trainer. Every night he has Savannah do exercises- mostly consisting of tummy time where he encourages her to move her head from one side to the other and then he stretches her arms and legs. I don't know what has been the difference, but this girl is now going to bed at 9-9:30 pm and waking up at 3:30 to eat and then again at 6. She is eating and sleeping like a champ and we hope this is a continuing trend.
Nightly exercises with Dad
Love those cheeks
Cuddling with dad
Melt your heart..
Big yawn
So relaxed
1st walk. The weather was a little chilly (70s) so we bundled poor Savannah up like it was winter. She slept the whole time and I am not sure she even knew we were outside.

1st bath. She wasn't crazy about being naked and wet, but she did like the hair washing once she was bundled in a dry towel.
Savannah with Grandma Hawks
Our little green diva
Sunday naps
My favorite surprised expression.
10 comments:
She is so cute! I wish I would have known the trick about teaching babies the difference between night & day-what a good idea. It sounds like you're enjoying parenthood so far, it really is great.
So precious! I'm so glad I got to talk to you the other day. She is beautiful & you are already a wonderful mommy! I love all her bows! So cute!
She is SO cute! I really want to come and see her again soon. Let us know if you need anything now that your mom is gone. Also, I am excited that the hat made the blog!! :)
The only things that's sad is that we won't see the little girl until she's probably 15 lbs and lifting weights (if dad keeps up the nightly exercises). She's adorable!
Oh my goodness Julianne, she is so precious! I am so happy for you three. It is fun and exciting to hear how everything is going and it sounds like you are a natural. It makes me feel so anxious and excited!
She is adorable!! I'm excited to find out what I'm having soon, but she's so cute!!
What an angel!!! Thanks for posting the pictures. It makes the wait until October a little more manageable. She's absolutely beautiful and it sounds like she's a great baby too! What a blessing! Love you all.
I haven't had a chance to say congrats to you two yet. What a beautiful baby! I LOVE her chubby cheeks. I still remember Jayson as a baby - the chunkiest thing ever. He would sit right on top of the table and eat chip dip straight out of the tub with his bare hands. Auntie Marlene says congrats too - she LOVES her name! Looks like you are awesome parents already.
Savannah is so cute! It is fun to see pictures of the little one! I can't wait to see her in real life. You are great parents!
Congratulations (I found you on Carissa's blog). She's so cute! And you look amazing (I didn't look that good after Seth was born, and I didn't even have to deliver him!). You guys look like very happy new parents.
Post a Comment