August 28, 2009

August 24th, 2009

Today was induction day! Jayson and I called the hospital at 5:40 am to make sure there was room for us and they told us to be there by 7 am. Once we got there they immediately hooked me up to some pitocin, to start dilating, and fluids, to stay hydrated. It was almost a little scary how fast I was in a hospital gown with an IV in and everything, I wasn't sure I was really ready.
Every half and hour they upped the pitocin by 2 cc. Once they got to 14 cc the contractions were coming on too quickly and right on top of one another. The nurses/doctor thought that perhaps baby was head down but turned face up and that was causing the many contractions. They played around with the pitocin level and finally by 3 pm I was dilated to 3 cm and was officially "in labor". Up until this point I was feeling great. It was a little annoying to have to be in bed, but I wasn't uncomfortable. I watched TV, talked to the nurses and tried to nap. Once I was dilated to a 3, I was pretty miserable. The contractions were hard and coming every 2 minutes or so. I asked for the epidural and got it around 4 pm. I had heard such horror stories about the epidural so I was expecting the worst. In truth, it was no big deal. I felt a prick in my back and then a warm sensation when they hooked up the meds, but that was it! I felt almost instant relief with the epidural. I could still feel everything that was going on I just couldn't feel pain, I could still feel myself contracting, just not the cramping feeling. I think having the epidural caused me to relax which helped speed things up. Within an hour I had dilated to a 6 and my water broke on its own. I was fully dilated to a 10 by 8 pm and my doctor wanted to give me one hour to help baby come down on her own before I started pushing. By 8:30 I felt the urge to push and they let me do a few practice ones before they called the doctor. The doctor was there by 9:00 or so and after a few pushes, baby Savannah was here! It was such a weird sensation and a total out-of-body experience. Since baby was a little large, I experienced a 3rd degree tear (only thing worse, is a 4th degree!) and had to get stitched up for quite a while. When my water broke earlier, there was meconium in the fluid which meant that the NICU nurses would be present for her delivery to make sure baby didn't aspirate any of it. Luckily, she was just fine and took her first clear breath after they suctioned her mouth.
I just watched in awe as they cleaned her up and did all of her testing/measurement, it was hard to believe she was really here and that she was really ours. She weighed in at 8 lbs and 3.6 oz and 20 inches tall! I could not believe that huge of a baby was inside my belly.
We stayed one and a half days in the hospital and came home Wednesday afternoon. The hospital was pretty relaxing and we had a few friends come to visit, which was nice. We are now home and anxiously awaiting my moms flight in a few hours. So far Savannah is an excellent baby. She is big, healthy and happy. We are still working out the kinks of nursing and sleeping patterns, but I am sure we will get it with time. Savannah seems to like to sleep during the day and be awake all night. Even though I am a little sleep deprived, I am just loving this whole experience. It is crazy to have this tiny little person to take care of, but it is easy at the same time because I can't believe how much I love her. We are still not entirely sure who she looks like and can see traits of both of us in her. So far the consensus is that she has Jayson's chubby cheeks and button nose and my eyes and lips. And as far as the hair, we are not sure where she picked that up...


Eating jello while waiting for baby. I had breakfast at 6 am and wasn't able to eat again until after she was born, around 9:15 pm. That was pretty hard, especially for a girl who was used to eating every hour or so :)


A family of 3! I was so proud of Jayson through out the whole day. He was such an excellent coach and didn't get sick or nauseas at the sight of everything.





Sucking fingers


So alert



Getting to know dad


chubby monkey








Coming home!

16 comments:

Primary said...

I am so happy for you guys. She is a little doll. It sounds like you did amazing! I love you guys and wish I could meet her in person! You're new little family is darling.

Jen and Ky said...

YAY!!! It's so fun to see more pictures of your sweet chubby baby! I'm so sad that we aren't there with you today, but we're all even worse today than we were yesterday, so I'm sure we made the right choice. Give Savannah a huge hug and kisses on those cheeks for me and we'll look forward to our next chance to meet her!

Kim said...

Yeah more pictures!!! Glad everything went so well! She is such a cutie! I love her cheeks so adorable!

becca said...

so happy for you julianne. isn't it so fun to be a mom?! (minus the whole third degree laceration...ouch!) Your little savannah is so cute & chubby. I can't believe you had an 8 pound baby. your little belly was so cute.

The Cox's said...

Hi Jayson,
This is Hayley Sanders Cox, congrats on your precious baby. Cort and I just had our first baby too, also a girl on August 2nd. She was only 6 lbs 13 oz though. Congrats again, she's a cutie!

Andrea S. said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. And, it's not fair that you look so good after being in labor all day and just giving birth. Enjoy her newborn phase, I promise you'll feel like you blinked and she grew up.

Troy, Erin and baby Boston said...

Hooray, hooray, hooray!!! Congrats Clarks! Troy and I are SO happy for you. Savannah is absolutely darling. We're glad you're home, and getting used to being parents. So fun! I can't wait to talk to you. Congrats again! Love you lots :)

Sheila Madsen said...

Julianne and Jayson,
She is just beautiful!! Congratulatlions on the birth of your sweet little angel. We are so happy for you.

Sam and Shauna said...

Hey Julianne it's Shauna (shelton) Delahunty. I am glad I found your blog. Congrat's on your little one, she is darling. Sam is applying to Dental school right now Creighton is one of our top choices. That is really neat you guys are there. You guys are such a cute family. It was fun to see all your pics.

Sam and Shauna said...

Oh yeah and If you want to keep in touch you can email me at Shaunshell@yahoo.com. My blog is private so I would need to send you an invite.

Kim said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful. I hope you guys are getting some sleep every now and then.:)

Lindsey said...

Congrats!! Babies are so much fun! I'm glad everything went relatively smooth. She is just adorable! How can you not love those cheeks!

Ty and Whit said...

Oh my gosh!!! She is the most precious thing I have ever seen!!! I'm so happy for you guys. Congrats!!

elise said...

Congratulations Julianne and Jason. What a cute baby! Take good care of each other and baby and have lots of fun with her. Love, Elise

Glovers said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! She is beautiful.

Bob, Emily, Ellie, and Kate said...

Congrats! She is such a little doll. Love those cheeks! I can't believe you are a mommy. Can you even believe how much you love her? Isn't it so amazing. What a blessing. I am so glad that everything went well (besides such a long and exhausting day of course!). Good luck with that sweetheart and post more pictures soon!