March 10, 2010

Chicago to Nauvoo

Jayson had spring break last week and so we decided to go see the big city of Chicago and then visit Nauvoo to see the Church historical sites. It was the first time since our honeymoon that we have taken a vacation with just our family and not as an extension of the Clarks or Hawks. It was a lot of driving but we had fun in the car talking, singing and quizzing each other on US states and capitals (I know, we're nerds). I loved having Jayson to ourselves for a whole week with no school/clinic/studying!!

Chicago!!!

The drive to Chicago took 7 long hours but we finally made it around 7 pm. We pulled up to our fabulous Marriott hotel downtown (that we got for a screamin deal thanks to Jayson's cousin) and were punched in the gut with the cost of parking a car in downtown Chicago... We took a deep breath and paid the valet man to take our car for $48 bucks... a day!

Besides the parking we had a wonderful time in Chicago.
We ordered deep dish Chicago pizza, not once but twice during our stay. It was that delicious. We had a great time just walking the streets and driving along Lake Shore drive and of course Michigan Avenue (with all the shopping).
It was fun to be in a new city and experience new architecture and a completely different way of life.
We had so much fun we want to go back when it is warm to experience Lake Michigan and of course when we have a few more dollars to spend on parking...

Thank you Marriott for making us feel safe and luxurious during our stay!


Shedd Aquarium
We had a lot of fun walking around and looking at crazy animals and contrary to the picture, Savannah loved it as well.


Waiting for the dolphin/whale show to begin.
No worries all trainers made it out alive.



Magnificent Mile
The famous Magnificent Mile of shopping on Michigan Avenue with amazing designer shops.


The American Girl Place


The American Girl Place was one of my favorite places in Chicago. I had 3 American Girls when I was younger and it was so fun to see the store. The store is every girl's dream come true. There is a hair salon for your doll, an ear piercing stand, a restaurant, a hospital, etc. There were all of these darling girls walking around with their dolls in matching outfits. I can't wait to take Savannah here when she is older.


We Love Chocolate!



A fun stop but once I was the price tags, we moved right along.


Hancock Tower

Hancock tower is the 2nd tallest building in Chicago. We went up 94 floors on an elevator and saw the birds eye view of Chicago. We had headsets and listened to Chicago's history. It was a little cloudy but we really loved this!
Lunch break at the Hancock tower.


Deep Dish Pizza
We had heard of two recommendations for delicious Chicago pizza;
Gino's and Ghiradino's
So we tried them both :)
Both were amazing and delicious but I would have to say the winner was Gino's



Savannah was seriously the best baby during our trip. She let us cart her around all day every day and I was a germ-a-phob and wouldn't let her play on the ground so she had to do all of her squirming and scooting on the bed or in the pack n play.



Nauvoo

The drive from Chicago to Nauvoo was about 4 1/2 hours. It was sad to say goodbye to the city but it was nice to park for free again and not compete with traffic. In fact it was so slow in Nauvoo that we were the only ones at our hotel the first night! It was quite the contrast to big crowded Chicago.
We had a kitchen in our hotel room so we could cook our own meals (which was nice because the whole town shut down at 5 pm). We were even able to borrow a highchair from the restaurant in the hotel since no one else was there.


Nauvoo Wagon Ride
It was a pretty chilly but a good way to see all of Nauvoo and learn a little bit about each site.


Printing Press
Where the Times and Seasons and Nauvoo Neighbor were printed


Blacksmith Shop

Since we were practically the only ones in Nauvoo
the blacksmith made Savannah her very own baby horse shoe.



Thanks to Jayson's persistence we got a backstage tour of the brickyard.
It was pretty cool to see how they make the bricks today.


Carthage Jail
Where Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum were martyred.
This was one of my favorite sites, it was really humbling to be in the same building where the prophet was. I loved listening to the hymn A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief with the audio of the events of that day.


Beautiful Nauvoo Temple
Jayson and I took turns doing endowment sessions and it was wonderful. You can really feel the spirit of how important the temple was to those early saints. What a blessing it would have been during the long trek to Utah to have your family sealed.


All tuckered out!
Savannah was such a trooper through the whole trip.
We promised her a pony for her good behavior.
(we just didn't specify what kind of pony)

4 comments:

Jen and Ky said...

Be VERY careful with promises...

Children have an amazing way of remembering (maybe with a little help from grandparents) what mommy and daddy have promised :)

Love the pictures...

Mimi and Poppi Hawks

Lindsay said...

SO COOL! You know, I have always wanted to go here so maybe I will just live vicariously through you!

I hope it was awesome! Maybe someday. . . plus, your little one is getting so big! I can hardly believe it and you look GREAT!!!

The Evers Family said...

Looks like a fun trip! I'm glad you guys were able to get a session in. That temple is so beautiful!

zeb.holly.van.gretchen said...

So glad you went on those trips-it's so worth it! I wish we could have come.